New Policies and Public Notices
The diocese is looking at our policies here at ICC. The bishop asked that we update and publish our policies so that we are in complete compliance with the Diocesan Policies and the Policies of the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops (USCCB).
These policies are to ensure that we protect vulnerable adults and all children under the age of 18. Not only do volunteers need to be vetted for our parish, but also staff and ministers.
More importantly, every parishioner should be trained to ensure the protection of anyone who visits our church. We are to protect and serve.
The following are the new policies:
- Diocese of Fairbanks Policy concerning vulnerable adults and children demands that all volunteers, ministers, or staff, before they are allowed to participate, will have an approved background check from the Office of Safe Environment.
- The Office of Safe Environment will determine if the volunteer, minister, or staff personnel has passed the background check and is suitable to participate in the activity or event.
- The volunteer first fills out a volunteer form which will be signed by the administrator and seek approval of the pastor once the form is filled out. If any questions arise, an interview with the pastor and administrator will be scheduled.
- Once the volunteer form is approved, the volunteer will fill out a background check. No participation can be taken until the background check has been submitted and the Safe Environment Coordinator approves the volunteer for service.
- We ask that if you have any previous arrests, felony charges, or misdemeanors, that you be as accurate and honest as you can be in filling out the background check.
- We also ask that you understand, we have the right to disallow a volunteer from serving due to our diocesan policies.
- We also ask that you understand, we have the right to disallow a volunteer from participating if, while serving, you infringe upon any of our policies.
- This Diocesan Policy concerning background checks and approval is non-negotiable and that compliance to the policy is mandatory (see page 24 of the Diocesan Handbook).
On August 1, 2017, the Congregation for the Clergy of the Holy See issued a final decision by which Edward J. Hartmann, formerly a priest incardinated with the Archdiocese of New York and who served in the Diocese of Fairbanks, was dismissed from the clerical state and dispensed from the obligation of celibacy and all other obligations connected with priestly Ordination. As a result, he is no longer authorized to minister as a Catholic priest here or elsewhere, except in certain situations of danger of death. If you have any questions about his status or activities, please contact Mrs. Leigh Scarboro, the Diocesan Chancellor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-374-9502.
2 Doyon Place
Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
Parish Office Hours
Tuesday to Friday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Saturday Vigil 5:30 pm
Sunday 7:30 am & 10:00 am
Monday – Friday 12:10 pm & 5:30 pm
Mon-Fri Mass 11:45 – 12:00pm in Church Confessional
Sat 4:00-5:00pm downstairs Reconciliation Room or by appointment